The availability of electricity in your home is beneficial. It makes our home comfortable, lit and makes it possible to equip the house with the electronics you need. Every homeowner needs to keep in mind the danger of electric shock. It causes potentially fatal hazards that need to be under consideration by finding ways of avoiding the electric shock. Most companies that deal with electrical safety estimate a large number of people that face electric shock in their homes every year. Therefore, people should have safe electrical use and contact Bates Electric in case of an emergency. As you read on are ways to prevent electric shock in your home.

1. Put tamper-resistant outlets

Among the many electrical shocks that happen in a year, almost half of the number are electric shocks that injure children. The first electric shock risk that involves children is always brought about by them putting objects or sticking their fingers into the electric outlets. Most electric companies mandate the installing of tamper-resistant outlets to hinder any electric shock. It blocks anything apart from a plug from entering the electrical outlets or their sources. Putting the tamper-resistant outlets prevents the likelihood of shock occurring from an outlet. Therefore, it is good to find an electrical company and let them upgrade your outlets to having the tamper-resistant variety in your electrical outlets.

2. Keep wet hands away from electrical components

One of the quickest causes of electric shock is always touching the electric outlet with wet hands. It is the deadliest and common cause of electrical shock. Although people know the consequences of wet hands-on electrical outlets, they will still rush to touch the outlets with wet hands. It often applies in the kitchen. Wet hands are good conductors of electricity. Apart from directly touching the sockets with wet hands, people should avoid unplugging or plugging in electronics with their wet hands. For the kitchen and bathroom areas, be careful as you handle appliances and switches with wet hands away from the electrical outlets to avoid cases of electric shock.

3. Carry out an electrical inspection

One thing about electricity is it is easy to use, but dangerous still if you do not know how to use it. Electricity can be faulty on the inside and give zero signs of having some damage. Therefore, call a professional electrician to examine your electrical systems often at home. The electrician will be able to detect any signs of an incoming dangerous electric shock. The electrician will reverse or repair the problem that would have led to an electrical fire hazard or electrical shock occurrence. As you prepare a list of the systems that require inspection in your house, all your electrical systems should be a priority.

4. Fix GFCI breakers in your home

Having a Ground Fault Circuit breaker at your home is a safety countermeasure. It cuts the electric power immediately and detects any current flowing through an uninterrupted way, for instance, a person. The ground fault circuit breaker is one of the most crucial and beneficial devices to have in your home. It prevents electrocution and electric shock from happening in your home. For those with tall buildings, advice is given to them to get the ground fault circuit breakers for their tall buildings. When lightning occurs, it may affect the electricity of the tall building hence leading to some electric sparks due to the system burning out.

5. Remove unsafe devices

It is good to withdraw the electrical system components that are not in use in your home. The outlet is said to be unsafe if it has been damaged in any way or has some cracks. Through this way, it becomes an electrical conductor hence no longer safe for use. Having outlets with closeness to sinks contravenes rules of electrical installation from studies. Such outlets are unsafe, therefore, putting the homeowners at risk of experiencing an electric shock. However, the electrical systems might fail to be risky but considered outdated. Out-of-date electrical panels prove capable of causing fire or shock hazards. Therefore, to avoid problems brought about by faulty electricity, it is good to get an electrician to replace or remove the dangerous electrical components.