The trend of having unusual pets is becoming more and more popular every day. One of these many unusual pets is the reptiles known as bearded dragons or beardie for short. If you are looking into getting one of these beautiful creatures as a pet for yourself, you may be looking for some information about them and their habitat before you make the purchase. It is also clever to search for some tank decor ideas so that you have a cozy house all ready for when your pet arrives home.
A few fun facts about these unusual pets are:
- They can live for as long as ten years
- They can grow as big as 24 inches
- Under the reptiles category, bearded dragons come under medium-sized lizards that live in deserts
- Bearded dragons can have a range of colors including red, brown, yellow and white
How to set up a bearded dragon tank?
Before you go and get a bearded dragon as a pet, you need to be aware of all their needs and must have everything ready when you get them home to ensure a smooth introduction and healthy relationship between you and your pet. A few things to keep in mind with your reptile pet are:
- Once they are fully grown, the recommended size of the tank for one bearded dragon is 40 gallons in volume.
- Since bearded dragons originate from the desert, they are used to warm and dry climates; therefore, you will need to provide your pet with a heating source.
- Another important thing to remember is that bearded dragons prefer solitude.
What amenities can be put in the terrarium?
Now that we have discussed the basics of the tank set up let’s talk amenities.
- As your bearded dragon originates from a desert, the best idea would be to put a few inches of calcium sand on the bottom of the terrarium of your pet.
- It is not necessary to provide your pet with a designated toilet area since it is unlikely that it will comply with it. However, it is important to keep the tank clean, thus scooping up the waste every week is ideal.
- When it comes to change of bedding, if you have provided your dragon with ample space, the bedding can be changed once every month unless you feel the need to do it more often.
- Apart from bedding, you also need to provide a heating source, as discussed earlier.
- Bearded dragons also like their environments to be 20-30% humidity. If the humidity of your tank goes below 20%, it is a good idea to mist your tank lightly.
- It is also important to provide your pet with a cool place where it can relax and unwind.
Now that you are equipped with the basic information you need in order to keep your pet happy and healthy, the next step is to arrange for all its favorite things so you can quickly bring it home.