Do you think you’re not getting enough nutrients in what you eat? Aside from having a balanced meal, dietary supplements aid the body in obtaining the nutrients it needs to maintain optimum health and wellbeing.
Dietary supplements refer to substances that add nutrients to a diet, or lower the risk of health problems. Dietary or food supplements come in several forms, including powders, pills, capsules, extracts, gel tabs, or liquids. There are different brands of dietary supplements, and they usually contain vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fiber, enzymes or herbs, and other plants.
The best way to obtain the nutrients the body needs is by eating a variety of foods, such as vegetables, fruits, meat, fish, nuts, bread, and milk products. But not all people have access to nutritious foods, or are required to undergo a diet plan that can’t include some types of food due to weight or health reasons. Because of this, some people are not getting adequate nutrients from their everyday meals. This is where food supplements come in to fill in the gaps of missing nutrients.
1. Muscle-Building Dietary Supplement
For bodybuilders, maintaining their health and wellbeing would mean having their desired muscle size and shape. It’s a good thing that muscle-building food supplements are now available to attain this goal. Unlike traditional medications, you don’t need a doctor’s prescription to buy MK 677 and any other brands of food supplements.
Muscle-building dietary supplements contain amino acids that help enhance growth hormones to aid in faster muscle recovery and the increased oxygenation of muscles. Also, they help enhance soft tissue and joint regeneration, as well as improve one’s sense of wellbeing.
Here are some examples of the active ingredients included in muscle-building food supplements:
- Creatinine: This provides energy to the muscles by increasing the water and hormones needed for muscle growth, such as Insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1).
- Protein: Three of the most popular protein supplements are whey, soy, and casein. Other protein supplements include protein from eggs, chicken, beef, or other sources.
- Beta-Alanine: This amino acid can help improve exercise performance.
- Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs): This is a key ingredient of most dietary supplements for muscle-building. This consists of amino acids like leucine, isoleucine, and valine. BCAAs are found in meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and dairy products, crucial for muscle growth.
2. Fiber Supplements
Maintain your wellbeing by including more fiber in your diet for healthy digestion. Some examples are black beans, lima beans, lentils, split peas, raspberries, and artichokes. However, if you’re not getting 25 grams of fiber from food, fiber supplements are highly recommended not just to improve digestion but also cardiovascular health.
Fiber supplements increase the amount of fiber in diets, providing short-term relief from bowel irregularity and constipation. Also, fiber supplements are recommended for weight management to make you feel fuller longer.
Here are the different types of fiber and their benefits:
- Soluble Fiber: This fiber type absorbs water in the food to slow down digestion, regulate blood sugar, and reduce bad cholesterol levels. Soluble fiber is often available in flaxseed, oatmeal, dried peas, barley, apples, carrots, and oranges.
- Insoluble Fiber: This fiber type adds bulk to the stool, making it move in the gastrointestinal tract quickly. The food sources of insoluble fiber include nuts, wheat bran, seeds, and dark leafy vegetables. Also, insoluble fiber helps relieve constipation, prevent colon cancer, and balance intestinal pH.
3. Probiotics Supplements
Another supplement that helps in maintaining a person’s wellbeing is probiotics. Probiotic supplements aid in proper digestion by maintaining the normal flora in the gut with good live bacteria.
Probiotic supplements also help in:
- Boosting the immune system
- Decreasing antibiotic resistance
- Protecting against food allergies
- Improving mental health
4. Grape Seed Extract
Grape seed extract (GSE) refers to a food supplement made from dried and pulverized grape seeds. This dietary supplement is packed with antioxidants, such as flavonoids, anthocyanins, and phenolic acids, preventing disease and protecting the body against oxidative stress, inflammation, and tissue damage.
Grape seed extracts can benefit from your wellbeing by:
- Improving blood flow
- Reducing high blood pressure
- Increasing bone strength
- Improving skin health
- Reducing cancer risk
- Improving kidney function
5. Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplements
It’s essential to keep your heart healthy to maintain health and wellbeing. Hypertension or high blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythm or arrhythmia, and atherosclerosis or plaque deposit in the blood vessels can lead to a chronic heart condition, affecting a person’s quality of life.
It’s a good thing that supplements are available to provide the right nutrients the heart needs to function properly. Fish oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are believed to improve cardiovascular or heart health.
Omega-3 fish oil supplements provide the following health benefits:
- Lower blood pressure to prevent hypertension
- Slow the plaque development in the arteries
- Reduce triglycerides
- Reduce risks of having a stroke and/or heart attack
- Reduce abnormal heart rhythm
- Reduce the risk of sudden death linked with heart disease
Key Tips Before Taking Supplements
When buying food supplements, always make sure that you’re dealing with a trusted seller. Check for the label that proves it’s certified by the Food and Drug Administration, and be aware of misleading therapeutic claims.
Here are some helpful tips before taking food supplements:
- Consult your doctor before taking any dietary supplements to assess your current health condition and check for possible drug interactions with your current maintenance medications.
- Make sure to take food supplements according to the manufacturer’s instructions or directions on the label.
- Determine the best time to take supplements. Some food supplements are taken on an empty stomach or with food for best absorption.
- If you feel untoward side effects upon taking a supplement, such as rashes, dizziness, or difficulty breathing, discontinue taking it and consult your doctor immediately.
Supplements help maintain health and wellbeing. The best food supplements available in the market include muscle-building supplements, fiber supplements, probiotics, grape seed extracts, and fish oil supplements. These supplements help improve muscle mass, digestion, heart health, and immunity. While you can take food supplements without a doctor’s prescription, it’s still best to consult with your physician before taking them for your health and safety.