If you discover that beautiful space in your home has growing molds, what will come immediately in your mind? Eventually, you would immediately take soap and scrub to remove it by yourself.

Consequently, if you do not know how to clean and trying to remove the mold by your understanding, it will lead to potential hazards.

Indeed, if you want to avoid mistakes entirely, you can hire professionals on mold remediation St. Petersburg to satisfy your home needs.

However, if you want to do the cleaning all by yourself, most likely, you want to do it correctly. However, many of the homeowners commit common mistakes in removing the molds.

Here is the common mistake that you should avoid:

Don’t use bleach for mold cleanup

Does bleach kill mold? Most of the people believe the myth that bleach can kill the fungus. However, many individuals are raising their inquiries about their observation that bleach treatment doesn’t work.

The bleach changes the color of the mold to bright or white shade. Unfortunately, what you are doing is helping the mold to sustain its growth. Besides, you also possibly ingested bleach fumes and airborne mold spores. These elements are dangerous to health.

Usually, in three month time of bleaching, the mold will return with the intensity of rapid growth.

Instead, it is a recommendation that you use borax. It is a white powder that you can purchase in most of the grocery stores in the laundry or detergent section.

When cleaning the molds, mix one cup of borax with 1 gallon of hot water. Apply the borax solution to the affected spot. However, do not use the solution to porous materials like drywall. It is because this type of surface can easily absorb water and can exacerbate the mold growth because it keeps the moisture.

After applying the borax solution, its time to scrub the spot with a rag or a wire brush (whatever is suitable) until you remove the mold. Wipe the affected spot and make sure that it dries thoroughly.

You can repeat the application of the borax solution to prevent the new mold from growing. Therefore, you don’t need to rinse the area. Once done, use a dehumidifier or a fan to dry the area.

Use of the mold-resistant paint

Many also think that the simple painting of the affected area can kill the mold. It may look like a quick solution, but it does not eradicate the fungus.

Hence, the mold will continue to grow beneath the coat of paint. Soon, the mold will be visible again and will be challenging to clean.

Furthermore, the ultimate target is to get rid of the mold. Therefore, properly clean first the surface before you apply the mold-resistant paint.

Remember the following:

  • If you eliminate the root cause of the moisture problem successfully, the mold will not return.
  • Remember that spores are small and can spread quickly. When cleaning, never forget to use proper containment of the mold.

Cross-contamination and use of proper clothing when cleaning

Most of the homeowners ignore the importance of adequate containment for affected elements to prevent spores from spreading.

Professionals do contain the elements and set-up the negative airflow environment properly. They dispose of the materials appropriately. It is essential to use the proper suite and gears to avoid exposure.