Bing is one of the most irritating search engines ever. Although it’s a legitimate browser designed by Microsoft, it’s been used by many browser hijackers. This malware redirects users’ search queries to Bing even when they use another search engine such as Google. The fact that Bing is used without users’ consent is probably the most annoying thing about this engine. Moreover, Bing can also pop up if you consented to use this search engine during some program installation. Either way, you are probably wondering how to remove it once and for all. Luckily, we have some suggestions for you.
How Do I Know That Something is Wrong?
How can you tell that Bing is used as your search engine by default? If you start typing your query in Chrome or Firefox, you see search suggestions below titled “Bing Suggestions.” If that’s your case, read on how to address the problem.
Detect Viruses and Malware
Search Baron is one of the browser hijackers using Bing to redirect Internet traffic. In addition to allowing Bing to pop up without your permission, it can also collect private data, redirect users to dangerous websites, and show intrusive and annoying ads. This unwanted program can be removed from your computer by resetting browser settings. Follow these simple steps:
- Open the list of installed programs. Search for unfamiliar or suspicious ones and delete them. If you are not sure what programs have been installed, you can use a search engine to learn more about them. There is plenty of information about adware, malware, and browser hijackers online. Don’t forget to check all system files because unwanted apps often hide many files in different locations.
- If you don’t want to complete this task manually, you can use special software to identify and eliminate browser hijackers. However, make sure it’s legitimate before purchasing and installing it. Some apps allow you to identify browser hijackers and protect your computer in the future by notifying you about the suspicious files.
- If you use a Mac, you can go to “Activity Monitor” in the settings and check for energy-consuming apps. If you notice something suspicious, click the stop button.
Reset Browser Settings
Bing removal is quick when you know what to do. Removing it by modifying the browser settings takes only a few minutes. For example, if you use Chrome, go to the menu and find the settings tab. Open the search engine settings and check whether Bing is set to open when you use your browser. Change the settings to your preferred search engine.
You can also reset Google Chrome by going to advanced settings in the menu tab. Press “reset and clean up” and reset settings to default. Then, close your browser and restart it. Voilà! Now, you can use the search engine you want.
If you use Firefox, the procedure differs slightly. Here are the steps you need to make to get rid of Bing:
- Click the menu
- Find the help icon at the bottom of the dropdown menu
- Click on “Troubleshooting Information”
- Click on “Refresh Firefox”
- By following the listed steps, you’ll change the settings to default
How to Prevent Bing from Popping Up Again?
The fact that you removed Bing from your computer does not mean that you are protected forever. You need to be careful with applications and downloads because they often contain offers you might not even notice. When you consent to all terms of conditions, you may unknowingly agree to use Bing as your preferred search engine. In addition, it’s always a good idea to avoid installing free software you know little about or download files from suspicious websites.