Have you ever thought about visiting Harrisburg for the scenic riverboat rides? Ever dreamt of taking a perfect picture with your kids at the Riverfront Park in the evening while viewing the beautiful horizon? Harrisburg, found in Pennsylvania state, is full of exciting sights and attractions and a perfect place to take your kids for the vacation. Apart from luxury accommodation, your kids will have sweet memories like hiking the famous Appalachian Trail, camping in the Wildwood Park, splashdown rides at the Hershey Park during the sunny days, and much more. Read this article to the end and get to know how you can enjoy yourselves in Harrisburg.
What do You Need to Travel here?
Every nation has jurisdictions regulating travelers. Likewise, for you to be allowed to travel to Harrisburg, you must apply for the ESTA. You will have to fill in the ESTA application questions. It enables the local authorities to improve the safety of the Visa Waiver Program. You are required to submit the ESTA form online before travel dates to give time to the Homeland Security to determine whether your visit poses a threat to the locals or not. ESTA website is user-friendly; therefore, it will take you less than 15 minutes to answer the ESTA application questions.
Where Can You Stay
Harrisburg is known for its hospitable citizens. Here, you will find trusted and high-quality hotels at competitive prices. The rooms are highly decorated and in luxury surroundings. Getting a booking is easy as you can do so online and still get a guarantee of high-quality services. Who wouldn’t love booking a holiday rental for his or her kids off the beautiful shores of the City Island? Here is a list of some of the top-rated hotels as per experts’ reviews.
- Radisson Hotel Harrisburg
- Best Western Premier the Central Hotel & Conference center
- Hampton Inn Harrisburg – East Hershey
- Staybridge Suites Harrisburg-Hershey
- Residence Inn Harrisburg-Hershey
- Hotel Indigo – Harrisburg-Hershey
- Redlion Hotel Harrisburg
- Days Inn
There are more than enough hotels where you can park and stay in Harrisburg. The choice is all yours!
The Must-Visit Places
You can never convince people that you have been on vacation in Harrisburg if you haven’t visited some specific places. This is because they hold so much history and heritage about the city and the Pennsylvania state. Imagine being here and failing to take your kids for a music festival at the Riverfront Park? Where will they see the Blue Mountain? Take them there and learn why it’s a favorite hangout spot for many! After that, take them to the rest of the following places.
- Pennsylvania Capitol – if you want your kids to learn better about the early civilization in Pennsylvania, then this is the perfect place where they can get all that history.
- City Island – your kids will love swimming in the beach or riding on paddleboats. If they don’t, then taking rides on the miniature train in City island will be so much fascinating!
- Pride of the Susquehanna – a trip around the city of Harrisburg would be memorable, right? This is the place to take them.
- Wildwood Park – take them for camping and bike riding here.
- State Museum of Pennsylvania – after taking your kids to the Pennsylvania Capitol and finding out that they love learning history, then this is the next place you should bring them to check exhibits and learn more about local history.
Harrisburg is home to fresh foods and the best Inns. Would you like eating your best meals with your kids while watching a live performance in outdoor seating at the rooftops? Then you should now be booking a table at the people’s favorite Millworks Restaurant! For local and foreign cuisines for your kids, take them to any of the following food paradises.
- Los Tres Cubanos
- El Sol Express
- Yellow Bird café
- Chars at Tracy Mansion
- Café Magnolia
- Trent Street Diner
- Home 231
- Mangia Qui
- Tomato Pie cafe
Please let your kids eat any of the following signature foods in Harrisburg. They may end up becoming their favorites too! Locals praise them calling them anything between sweetness and happiness.
- Subway Café pizza
- Bangkok Works Pad Thai
- Mexico Lindo tacos
- Sandwich Mo Sus
- Palumbos Grandma’s Pizza
- Dukes Crab Pretzels
- Vietnamese Garden Pho
- Rubicon’s Steak
Entertainment Places to Look Out for
Just like adults, kids too like having fun. They are amazed by almost anything. There are lots of amusement parks and enjoyment centers for kids in Harrisburg. Do you want a quiet place for them to play? Then visit the SPA at the Hotel Hershey and get plenty of chocolate treats for you and your kids. There are lots of indoor places where they can have fun too. Hit out the following fun spots with the kids.
- Wildwood Park
- City Island park railroad
- Whitaker Centre for Arts and Science
- Tumble Tow
- Fort Hunter Mansion Park
- Pride of the Susquehanna
Outdoor Activities for You and Your Kids
Visiting Harrisburg during the summer would enable you to enjoy the brightly cool climate. It’s when you will be able to bask in the sun alongside your kids. There are plenty of activities waiting for you in Harrisburg. You should already be preparing to do the following.
- Hiking the Appalachian Trail
- Take a walk to the City Island and enjoy a soccer game with the locals
- Go for bird watching, fly fishing or boat riding at the Yellow Breeches Creek
- Waterslides at Hershey Park
- Nature walk at the Naturewood park
Where to Take Your Kids for Shopping
You can save money while still having fun. Your kids will want to take home a souvenir from Harrisburg. The following places will give you a wide range of products at pocket-friendly prices and discounts too.
- Road street market
- Midtown Scholar bookstore
- West Shore farmers market
- Once Upon a Child
- Strawberry Square
- Asia Mall
- Harrisburg Mall
- Colonial Park Mall
- Uptown Plaza Mall
In conclusion, Harrisburg is a must-go place with your kids for the holidays if at all you fancy having fun. They will learn plenty of history and at the same time, get entertained. The high-quality hotels available will provide a pleasant surrounding for you to stay. You will find your favorite foods at the top restaurants and of course, hang out in the favorite entertainment zones!