If you haven’t heard about self storage, then it is clear that you have never been shifting around nor have you found any clutter or an overcrowded non-seasonal clothes and things in your home, which to be honest will happen eventually because every now or then we come across a phase in our life when we either have to relocate or shift to some other place with our family or for work.
In that scenario, you can’t take the responsibility or the risk of moving the entire house to a new place, so you end up hiring self storage. Self storage is simply a rented shelf, storage box, container or a unit where you can store the excess of your luggage, furniture or accessories and pay rent for that storage place. Read further for the best of the guidelines in this respect:
Ways of Using Self-Storage
There can be several reasons for using the self storage service. Most particularly, you can hire self storage to store away your furniture and home accessories when you have to move out to some other place for a smaller duration of 6 months to a year. Or you can use this self storage when you want to redecorate your house because for that, the 1st step is always to de-clutter. So you can store the extra things and spared furniture or possessions in the self storage unit. If you are into collections then at the time of a move or de-cluttering you can store your collected items in the store. Also, If you are a businessman then you can make your archiving room in the self storage to stay organized and sorted. You can even push out your non-seasonal stuff to a self storage container or your valuables that you don’t want to keep in a bank or at home, to a hired self store container.
Find the Most Suitable Storage Unit
Storage units have so many features these days along with a ton of assorted complementary services that you can choose from. So to choose the most suitable self-storage unit for your possessions, you need to consider the following things:
– How far and accessible is the unit from you.
– Would you need a more climate controlled unit? Especially if your possessions are sensitive to heat, cold, dust, or moisture?
– How safe and secure is the unit?
– Does the place have a caretaker or not?
Tips For Packing Properly For Self-Storage
Now that you are packing your things for self storage, you need to be thoughtful of the right size of the boxes in which you are packing. Especially, if you are packing the sensitive items or the heavy weight objects as both can get harmed if not packed in the right shape or size of the box. Don’t put so many things in one box and neither should you pack every item singularly. So just be careful of the weight of the entire box.
Following are a few more useful packing tips to help you stay sorted:
- Labeling Can Be Handy: for an easy search and access of an object, even after few months or years, you must properly label all your boxes that you are going to place in the self storage unit. Make sure you label them in a way that is clearly visible and easily comprehensible.
- Arrange Your Possessions Carefully: if you have hired a big room or a unit where you have to stack all your boxes or furniture then make sure you arrange them carefully in rows or columns and leave an aisle in between or a space of a foot so you could reach everywhere without being stuck. Or you don’t have to move all the things in front to reach a box at the far end.
- Stacking Is A Good Technique: the best way to pack your boxes, is in a way that can be easily placed in stacks in your storage unit. This will also help you make the best of the height of your storage space. You can pack all your heavy things like books in one box and place it at the bottom and then pack the lighter things like small decorations or Christmas decorations in one box to go on top of the books. This way, the boxes won’t cave in or give way to pressure.
- Pack With Care: packing can be boring but it can save your possessions from damaging or getting harmed, if done correctly and with a little extra care. When you are packing the things that can demount and assemble at home like beds, cabinets or stands then demount them before packing them. This will also save you some space in your storage unit and your things won’t get damaged during the move. You must also give an extra attention to your sensitive items. Packing them separately and in individual wraps could be a good technique. Also make sure you label it to be ‘fragile’ or ‘move with extra care’ as a better measure of protection.